Heinrich Schulte establishes the enterprise as a lock manufacturing business.
Already long before 1840, the official year of foundation, ancestors of the Schulte family were self-employed master locksmiths.
Devolution from father to son
The son Carl Eduard Schulte gives the company the name it still bears today - C.Ed.Schulte or CES in short.
View of the smithy
In 1874, Carl Eduard Schulte moves into a house on the upper part of Friedrichstraße. In the adjoining smithies, he installs the first mechanically powered presses.
Carl Eduard Schulte and family
The beginnings in Friedrichstraße
The first steam engine in Velbert
The rising production volume requires another extension of the operation. CES installs the first steam engine in Velbert, which marks the beginning of the industrial lock production.
First cylinder lock manufacturer in Germany
CES pioneers the production of cylinders and locking systems in Germany.
CES at the Leipzig Trade Fair
From an early date, the company exhibits its products on trade fairs.
The first master key system
CES delivers the first master key system to the Unversity of Cologne. The grand master key locks 867 cylinders (article from "Kölnische Zeitung" dated 5 April 1934).
The company in the course of time
The company in the course of time
Modernization of the façade and addition of new building units
CES at the Cologne Trade Fair
Exhibiting on the International Hardware Fair Cologne becomes a tradition that is continued into the next millenium.
Acquisition of the lock factory of Niederhoff+Sieper
View of the design department
The times of the drawing board have long passed. The oldest hand-drawn design dates back to 1937.
Inauguration of the new administrative building
Production of the first electronic locking system CES-alpha
On the occasion of its 150th anniversary, CES establishes the CARL-EDUARD-SCHULTE foundation. Since then, 67 award winners have been honoured and received about 125,000 euros in prize money.
- ISO 9001 certification
- Launch of the CEMO motor cylinder
- Introduction of the reversible key system WM
- Grant of trademark protection for the key sections WM and KM
- Key ceremony at the Reichstag
- Launch of TERA, the first vertical reversible key
- Introduction of the security cylinders
- Market launch of the electronic security system CES-OMEGA
- Key ceremony at the Federal Chancellor's Office
- Start of the cylinder manufacturing by CESrom SRL in Sibiu, Romania
- Spinning-off of the electronics division into CEStronics GmbH
- Renaming of the lock factory Niederhoff + Sieper to CESlocks GmbH
- Start of the marketing of OMEGA LEGIC
- Key ceremony at the Dresdner Frauenkirche
Founding member of Schlüsselregion e.V.
The association Schlüsselregion e. V. is the industrial network of the Velbert / Heiligenhaus region. About 75 member companies and institutions are committed to promoting the network of regional competencies, mutual contacts and cooperations, as well as the collaboration in the fields of research and professional education and training.
- Launch of the new OMEGA LEGIC fitting IES
- Establishment of CESfrance SRL in Paris, France
- Large crowd at the open day on the CES premises
CES Gruppe establishes two new subsidiaries
- CESnederland B.V. Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
- CESitalia srl., Italy
- Launch of the new key design for horizontal reversible key systems
- Delivery of locks and cylinders for Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world
- The first students under the cooperative engineer training scheme (KIA) start at CES Gruppe.
Presentation of OMEGA Mifare
At the Security trade fair in Essen, CES presents the new OMEGA Mifare components.
Introduction of the DU key system with 3D profiling
Innovative key section series with undercut for upscale industrial buildings